Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Couple Of Things . . .


_____

I ran across a new word. It is Elderschadenfreude (pronounced elder-shod-un-FROYD-uh) -- Elderschadenfreude is defined as the secret pleasure of hearing about aging parents that are even more impossible than yours.

Sandra Tsing Loh has a piece in the Atlantic titled Daddy Issues. Why caring for my aging father has me wishing he would die.

Sandra Tsing Loh


Below is an excerpt:

“I WAAAAAAAANT MY FATHERRRRRR TO DIEEEEE!!!”

Startled, and subtly stepping back to put a bit more distance between us, my co-worker asked what I meant.

“What I mean, Rob, is that even if, while howling like a banshee, I tore my 91-year-old father limb from limb with my own hands in the town square, I believe no jury of my peers would convict me. Indeed, if they knew all the facts, I believe any group of sensible, sane individuals would actually roll up their shirtsleeves and pitch in.”

Don't be fooled. This article is not a fluffy-cutesy little piece about how wonderful it is to care for an aging parent. It is not. It most certainly is not.

If you can spare a few minutes to read it, I'm sure you will be glad you did.

(Well, I'm not all 'that' sure)

At the end of the article there are a variety of comments, pro and con.

_____


Happy Birthday

Jennifer Aniston


Born February 11, 1965

_____


Thomas Alva Edison
was also born on this day


(February 11, 1847 – October 18, 1931)

Which picture would you rather gaze upon?
Tom's? Or Jenn's?
__________

Let your heart guide you.
It whispers,
so listen carefully.

--Littlefoot's mother (Land Before Time)

No comments:

Post a Comment