Friday, October 8, 2010

Day By Day Grows The Mystery

At 8 A.M. Arizona Time the temperature is 61 degrees Fahrenheit under a clear blue sunny sky. The TV weather forecasters predict today's high here in Tucson during the late afternoon to be 87 degrees.

. . .

Recently while seated in front of my computer tap, tap, tapping away, I suddenly was startled by a separate tapping, a tapping overlapping my own, a periodic rapping on the glass of my window. Looking up from my monitor I saw, just to the left side of the screen, the upper body and head of a woodpecker on the widow ledge outside the glass, about five feet from where I sat.

My camera was sitting beside the monitor so I turned it on and quickly snapped a shot.


Noisy Visitor Outside My Window

Yes, life transpires, and actually flourishes, well beyond the vanity of the individual human animal's overly-valued sense of personal awareness. And it takes myriad under-valued forms.

But that's a story for another time.

. . .

I am working on the outline of a short story intended for submission to the Writers annual Halloween Story Writing Contest. I have what I believe to be good idea for an original story, and I especially like the surprise ending. But a couple of details are holding me back. Perhaps a satisfactory solution to this will present itself shortly, maybe during this morning's daily fitness walk. I'll be sure to have my portable digital recorder in my pocket.

. . .

Does anyone know why women wear those ridiculous, expensive, uncomfortable health-hazards known as high-heeled shoes? And don't give me that old excuse that doing so sculpts and flatters the shape of the leg, of the wearer's calf and ankle.

I don't buy it.

Observing the various women that populate the social talk and opinion TV shows--and even the news and commentary presentations--feature females wearing sparkling gold and silver spike-heeled shoes, while their legs are colorfully concealed by long-legged business-suit pants. The shape of the legs is not the main event.

Right?

So why do the lovely ladies continue this inexplicable insanity?

(One shakes one's head in male puzzlement)

Life in our civilized society certainly showcases copious conundrums.

It does indeed.

__________

"I believe that kids as well as adults are entitled to books of no socially redeeming value."
--R.L. Stine

No comments:

Post a Comment