Sunday, October 3, 2010

National Novel Writing Month


NaNoWriMo Month begins November 1.

Recently I read a piece in DesertLeaf (Catalina Foothills Community Living) print-magazine regarding NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) which has for the last few years been a subject I vociferously ridiculed, believing that writing a novel in the mode of getting down vast quantities of words while eschewing all editing and completely ignoring quality is merely foolishness. I have always edited my words, phrases, and sentences as I write, trying to make sure I use the exactly-correct word, and never, never allowing myself to just tap-tap-tap away at the keyboard's keys.

"Ugh!"

But now, after reading that article, and after having considered all the arguments for participating, mostly from other Writers List members, I am thinking about trying it this coming November 1, when this year's event begins.

Why? (shrug) Desperation, perhaps.

After all, it was Ray Bradbury who said, "Quantity produces quality. If you only write a few things you are doomed."

Is that true? Could be.

Who knows?

I am not looking forward to it. I still hate the idea. It seems to offer an excuse for failure. It seems to say, "Go ahead and create nonsense." But something is pushing me to give it a try. So, yesterday I registered at the NaNoWriMo site. I am now an official member of the group.

NaNoWriMo entrant

What will happen next?

Who knows?

Herman Melville, author of Moby Dick, reportedly said,
"I try all things. I achieve what I can."

Try all things? Why not? Why the Hell not? Here's a chance to unthinkingly sprinkle my scenes and character dialogue with as many author intrusive 'ly' adjectives and adverbs as I please.

As Mickey Spillane (I, The Jury) said, "Those big-shot writers could never dig the fact that there are more salted peanuts consumed than caviar."

So who am I to quarrel with wisdom such as that?


Finally, as an old Chinese proverb wisely points out --

"The man who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it"

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment