Thursday, October 7, 2010

Miscellany . . .


While walking along the desert sand and rocks of a narrow path through the scrub I spied on the ground a... well, I stared at it for at least ten seconds before my brain registered what my eyes were seeing...it seemed so out of place on that path... it was a somewhat weathered and sun-faded ten dollar bill.. no kidding. As hard as it is to believe, I had actually found some money.

Since it was free, I decided to spend it foolishly, so when I got to Circle-K I bought five dollars worth of PowerBall tickets. Couldn't bring myself to blow the whole ten.

I'll post the result (if I win) after the drawing. Unless it's the grand prize of mega-millions, that is.

(I thought of taking a picture of the ten-spot but then opined that most readers know what a ten-dollar bill looks like)

But then, I wondered how many people can say, without looking, whose picture is on the ten-dollar bill.

Can you?

. . .

Last night Mike and JoAnn arrived back home from their vacation trip to London. And they came bearing gifts. I am now the proud owner of a box of GUYLIAN Finest Belgian Chocolate Sea Shells, a package of Marx & Spencer Orchard Mix (a delicious mix of soft and juicy dried fruit) and a box of Twinings Green Tea.

What a thoughtful couple of kids they are.

Thank you guys.
. . .

I finally managed to snap a picture of Eva doing her dream-time leg stretches while napping on the carpet. She cracks me up when she dreams. Sometimes, lying there on the carpet, her legs do tiny swimming motions, or running motions as if chasing some prey, and often she growls most menacingly deep down in her throat.

Eva stretching her legs and growling while asleep


. . .

I read an interesting and thought-provoking factoid this morning:

Amiri Baraka was the poet laureate of New Jersey during the September 11 attacks, and a year later, he read his poem "Somebody Blew Up America" at a poetry festival. In it, he suggested that Israel knew about the attack beforehand; the poem was labeled anti-Semitic and caused a huge controversy. The governor of New Jersey tried to fire Baraka, but discovered that it wasn't legally possible to fire a poet laureate. So the state passed a bill that dissolved the position, and since then, there has not been a poet laureate of New Jersey.

As I said, it's merely an interesting (and thought-provoking) factoid.

But I'll write nothing more about it... at this time.
__________

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
--Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment