Friday, November 12, 2010

NaNoWriMo "Gotta Buckle Down..."


Yesterday I accumulated 1,040 words for Day 11 of my NaNoWriMo efforts which brings me to a total of 13,740 of the minimum 50,000 required for the thirty period. Looks like I'd better buckle down and produce more words per day if I expect to be a 'winner' in the competition.

One of the things I have discovered is that this NaNo thing is giving me the opportunity to test out new methods of writing... well, new to me anyway. One day I can concentrate mainly on dialogue, while on another day I can mostly pay attention to description or characterization through introspection, and I can switch around in my use of tense: past, present... and perhaps I might experiment with a scene using future tense. Why not? This is the perfect time for experimentation.

. . .

My good friend Anthony has decided to opt out of NaNo -- a decision I endorse wholeheartedly -- to concentrate on writing more literate works. One should do what one feels is appropriate for one's self. I look forward to reading Anthony's future submissions, whether on our Writers list or posted on his personal blog, or perhaps printed in a respected periodical.

. . .

As I was reading a piece on the late Kurt Vonnegut, I paused after reading one of his observations:

Do you realize that all great literature -- Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, A Farewell to Arms, The Scarlet Letter, The Red Badge of Courage, The Iliad and The Odyssey, Crime and Punishment, the Bible, and The Charge of the Light Brigade -- are all about what a bummer it is to be a human being?

After thinking about this for a time, I concluded that Mr. Vonnegut was (and still is) incorrect in his judgment. Of course, one can never be certain as to whether Vonnegut was being serious or attempting a humorous foray into satire or some such. Some of his stuff goes right over my head.

Whatever . . .

. . .

A while back I posted a Word Of The Day; it was misogyny, and the definition is: hatred (or contempt) of women or girls. Misogyny comes from Greek misogunia from misos (hatred) and -gyne (woman). And now a curious thought has occurred to me, a question: "can a female be a misogynist?"

That is a question to explore.

. . .


Maynard G. Krebs
(Bob Denver)

"WORK!"

__________


No comments:

Post a Comment