Sunday, November 14, 2010

So Much For Day 13


Yesterday was Day 13 of NaNoWriMo. I wrote a scant 750 words which only brought my total up to 15,980 words. I am so shamefully lazy. That so, so pitiful day's output is posted at:

http://www.genechambers.com/day-13.htm

After having written for thirteen consecutive days and usually coming up short in my daily word count, I am wondering if perhaps I should just go ahead and pad my work with what I have always considered superfluous words, all those unnecessary words, words describing the physical appearance of each character, the type of clothing they are wearing, the furnishings of the room in which the action is taking place, the travelogue-type background scenery, the mountain ranges, the ocean beaches, the city streets... and, of course, the weather. Now doing that would certainly up my word count.

The novel would be boring as hell, though.

Probably.

. . .

Every morning I read the entire blog entry of The Writer's Almanac -- Today's entry included the opening paragraph from Moby Dick, in which I counted a total of nine adverbs (there might be more) most of them ending in 'ly.' As most of the people who have read my earlier postings already know, I am a great admirer of good adverbs, especially those ending in 'ly' and I most assuredly feel that those remarkably useful words have been undeservedly given a terribly bad reputation. If Herman Melville can do it, then why can't I?

In the same day's Almanac entry, I read the following observation written by the well-known Journalist P.J. O'Rourke who said,

"The source of the word 'humorist' is one who regards human beings in terms of their humors -- you know, whether they're sanguine or full of yellow bile, or whatever the four classical humors are. You stand back from people and regard them as types. And one finds, especially by the time one reaches one's fifties, that there are a limited number of types of people in the world, and you went to high school with every single one of them. You can visit the Eskimos, you can visit the Bushmen in the Kalahari, you can go to Israel, you can go to Egypt, but everybody you meet is going to be somebody you went to high school with."

That is much more profound than one would think after only a first reading, in my opinion anyway.

. . .

Gotta get to the NaNo stuff now.

More later on today, maybe.

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment