Monday, March 5, 2012

If It Tastes Good . . . Eat It?


_____

I had planned today to write about obesity and my own ideas as to its underlying cause, that being primarily the pursuit of and insistence on more and more tasty and less nutritious food, and of the commercial emphasis on enhanced flavor. But, as sometimes happens, I got so all caught up in another of my various pursuits (family history in photos on DVD) and had to put off that thought provoking writerly chore. If I find the time soon enough, I will insert herein some of my slowly simmering thoughts on the subject of food as an object of conditioned pleasure seeking.

If not, I'll do so another day.

_____



____


I found a word I didn't know the
meaning of so I looked it up . . .

gluttony is habitual eating to excess.

Believe it or not.

I had always before understood that gluttony was a vile and voluntary committing of a deadly sin and was God's (or Nature's) way of punishing a person for acting like the much despised overly large grunting hog that roots through the muck and mire of a pure and plentiful Earth to satisfy an unnatural craving. Imagine my surprise to find that the hog is acting strictly on its built-in natural instinct while human gluttony is nothing more than an acquired habit.

_____



_____


BORN ON THIS DAY



Born March 5, 1908
Died June 2, 1990



Rex Harrison as Julius Caesar in the movie Cleopatra

With Elizabeth Taylor, filmed in 1963

_____

__________

Childhood obesity is best tackled at home through improved parental involvement, increased physical exercise, better diet and restraint from eating.
--Bob Filner

2 comments:

  1. Gene, If you haven't already done so, visit http://www.forksoverknives.com/ for great information on the connections between diet, nutrition, disease, and disease prevention. Best intro is to watch the documentary film. It's available on DVD, for rent through Netflix, etc., streaming or purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony. I'll look into it. Your comments and suggestions are always much appreciated.

      Delete