Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lack Of Caffeine


_____

I got a late start today. Well, no... I started to write this entry at 5:30 this morning, Tucson Time, which is of course 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time. But for some reason I could not put two words together in my mind, let alone type them into the file. So I downloaded and read my overnight email, checked celebrity birthdays, hunted up a quotation, and shut the computer down.

No coffee. That's three days of no caffeine. That might be one of the reasons for my current feelings of lethargy, both mental and physical.

So, now at 4:00 P.M. I am finally getting around to uploading this to blogger.

Oh . . . I did manage to get out for my two-mile walk today.

____


My Word For Today

fictitious
Adjective
Not real or true, being imaginary or having been fabricated.
Of, relating to, or denoting the imaginary characters and events found in fiction.

Although I have long been well aware of the meaning of this word, I decided to post it anyway.

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY

Science Fiction Writer
Jokester and Charlatan

Born March 13, 1911
Died January 24, 1986


According to Wikipedia: Science Fiction writer L. Sprague de Camp wrote to Isaac Asimov on August 27, 1946, to tell him: "The more complete story of Hubbard is that he is now in Florida living on his yacht with a man-eating tigress named Betty-alias-Sarah, another of the same kind... He will probably soon thereafter arrive in these parts with Betty-Sarah, broke, working the poor-wounded-veteran racket for all its worth, and looking for another easy mark. Don't say you haven't been warned. Bob [Robert Heinlein] thinks Ron went to pieces morally as a result of the war. I think that's fertilizer, that he always was that way, but when he wanted to conciliate or get something from somebody he could put on a good charm act. What the war did was to wear him down to where he no longer bothers with the act."

Which means that Hubbard was recognized from the beginning as a man to be avoided and his ideas to be ignored.

_____


That's all I have for now. Hopefully tomorrow I will have more to offer.

__________

"I find that writing is a constant battle with exactly the same problems you've always had."
--Douglas Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment