Friday, March 9, 2012

A Windy Day In Tucson


_____


It's early in the morning here in Tucson but the wind is blowing fiercely already, not a steady blow but in fits and bursts. According to the TV weather report the wind is to grow stronger as the day progresses, and a warning of dust storms crossing I-10 is posted. A danger of the spread of existing and newly created wild fires is a distinct possibility.

This seems to be one of those rare days when excusing myself from my daily walk is a definite maybe.

Oh well . . . there are plenty of other things for me to do instead, some computer related chores for the most part.

_____


As part of my ongoing project to construct a Family History of sorts, I have been collecting together a number of old photographs from albums packed away in the closet and then scanning them into a folder (titled Memories) on my computer. These pictures bring back recollections of my younger days, some of them nostalgic and others perhaps better left unrecalled.

The snapshot just below was taken in 1983 when I was living alone in Chicago, a few months before Donna and I were married.


Charles Gene Chambers

Age 44 (1983)


Below is another picture that was taken a bit earlier in that same year, dressed in my work clothes. I was employed by Teletype Corporation in Skokie, Illinois as a senior technician in the Research & Development Proving Laboratories

Charles Gene Chambers

_____


I found a word I was unsure of
its meaning -- so I looked it up.

endemic (en-DEM-ic)
adj.
1.
Prevalent in or peculiar to a particular locality, region, or people: diseases endemic to the tropics.
2.
Native to or confined to a certain region.

The Free Dictionary explains it in more depth.

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY

Yuri Gagarin

born March 9, 1934
died March 27, 1968


Also born on this day . . .


(Creator of Mike Hammer)

March 9, 1918 - July 17, 2006

More than 225 million copies of his books have sold internationally. I remember well the days in Junior High School when we (the guys in our class) gathered in the Boys Rest Room and passed around a battered copy of I, The Jury with, of course, the appropriate pages dog-eared and certain passages underlined in ink.



This was not a book of poetry.


Or was it?

__________

"Writing a book of poetry is like dropping a rose petal down the Grand Canyon and waiting for the echo."
--Don Marquis

2 comments:

  1. My father worked at Teletype did you know him? Jack Hahn - Sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember anyone named Hahn when I worked at Teletype. I was a senior technician in the R&D Proving Labs and did the FCC compliance testing for the newest prototype terminals. There were a LOT of people I never came in contact with.

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete