Thursday, March 15, 2012

MISH-MASH OF MUDDLED MISCELLANY














_____


One of my favorite website's owner (Dessert Survivor) took a trip to Portland, Oregon and it was featured on today's edition of Rensselaer Adventures, which is the blog I visit first thing each morning to keep myself updated on the happenings in and around my old hometown in Indiana. There are some nice photos along with (as always) some interesting narrative text.

The link is HERE

_____


My Word For Today

demagogue
A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular passions and prejudices. (Can you say San-TOR-uhm?)

Another word came to my attention during my site hopping earlier this morning. The word is preantepenultimate and its definition is fourth from the last. That makes sense to me. And since penultimate is second from the last, I deduce that antepenultimate is third from the last.

Cool!

_____

I recently read somewhere about those wild Mountain Men of the early American West (Kit Carson, et al.) and how they were skillful tellers of tall tales, creators and repeaters of stories like the one about the mountain valley in Wyoming that was so big it took an echo eight hours to return, so that a man bedding down for the night could confidently shout 'Git up!' and know that he would rise in the morning to his own wake-up call.

It seems that this ability to use one's imagination imaginatively has now fallen out of favor within the crowd of modern-day writers and published authors. Or perhaps I expect too much from the finely crafted reading material and its canny creators (manufacturers?) that usually happen to stray my way.

_____


BORN ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY


(7th U.S. President)

Born March 15, 1767
Died June 8, 1845

_____


A Deck Of Cards is a Youtube video that was called to my attention, and sure enough when I listened to the words I remembered how my dad used to listen to it on his home-made record player (he was a radio repairman) back in the 1940s. He was not a religious man but for some reason that particular story affected him emotionally... for some unknown reason.

Who can figure out why some of life's simplest things touch us, and why others, deemed deeply profound, do not So if you are not familiar with A Deck Of Cards please invest three minutes of your time and listen to it.

Again, the link is HERE.

__________

Pay no attention to the criticism of men who have never themselves written a notable work.
--Ezra Pound

No comments:

Post a Comment