Tuesday, March 20, 2012

If You Will Kindly Indulge Me



_____


If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without alcohol,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs . . .

Then You Are Probably



The Family Dog!


(The above was sent to me in an email from my son.)


_____


While sorting through some photographs from the closet, I saw the old and faded one below, and it illustrated (to me) -- something or other -- can't remember what it was.

My grandson, Tim, born in 1984, with his
Great-Great Grandma Morris born in 1898


Now what was it that provoked me to include that photo in today's blog entry? Probably something to do with time . . . life spans . . . family, or something like that.

_____


Word For Today

Crepuscular
adjective
1.
of, pertaining to, or resembling twilight; dim; indistinct.
2.
active at dawn and dusk
3.
Zoology
appearing or active in the twilight, as certain bats and insects.

Crepuscular animals are those that are active primarily during twilight, that is during dawn and dusk.

_____


Here is another old picture I found in a crushed and broken shoebox.

Charles Gene Chambers
(42 years old)

Graduation Night May 1982 --
Valparaiso Technical Institute


A friend and former classmate who is planning to write an article for a historical journal asked my permission to use a pair of my archived pictures from our fifth grade photo. Of course I agreed readily. Below is section 1, which is the section containing your's truly... me. I am in the bottom row, wearing my cub scout uniform.

(Click photo for full-size view)

The tallest girl in my row, near the center is Darlene Robinson. She was to later become my date three years later for the eighth grade prom. I have been told, sadly, that she has since passed away.

Below are the links to the two class pictures just in case you are of a curious bent. They feature the full-size photos with the names of all the students.

http://www.genechambers.com/5thpart1.htm

http://www.genechambers.com/5thpart2.htm

_____


HAPPY BIRTHDAY



Born March 20, 1922

According to Wikipedia:

On December 24, 1943, Reiner married singer Estelle Lebost. The two were married 64 years until her death in 2008. At the time of the marriage, he was 21 and she was 29. His wife Estelle is probably best remembered for her line "I'll have what she's having" in the deli scene of their son Rob's 1989 film When Harry Met Sally. She died on October 25, 2008, at age 94.

Reiner, who is Jewish, has described himself as a Jewish atheist.He says, "I have a very different take on who God is. Man invented God because he needed him. God is us."

__________

We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies.
--Shirley Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment