Friday, February 26, 2010

Ask And Ye Shall Receive

In the closing lines of yesterday's entry I declared my intention to attempt to honestly describe some of the instances wherein I believe something other than my ordinary, everyday self intervened to steer the course of my life in a different and better direction.

By that I mean, of course, stressful times in which some 'higher power' stepped-in (at my impassioned behest) and assumed an over-riding control of my actions.

But I found that doing so in a factual-memoir form is too terribly frightening and is much more difficult to report with stark honesty than I had anticipated.

So, I then decided to take a friend's earlier advice and present those essential truths in fictional form, announcing that the story is merely based on actual events.

Here is what came of that . . .


Brief Story Plan

TENTATIVE TITLE: To Be Or Not To Be?

(Main-Character-Name) at the age of nearly 40 finds himself isolated from family, friendless, dejected, depressed, alone, and apparently approaching an attempted suicide. (Show, don't tell)

(Name) prepares (how? be specific) for his evening-shift (where?) of mind-numbing and physically exhausting, unskilled labor. (Which is?)

(Name) suffers emotionally, (retreats into solitude) despair deepens, premature escape from life looks better and better, seems the 'only' solution.

Finally at the absolute nadir, (Name) calls out to the universe, imploring someone, anyone, any thing for help.

And is answered by a strong presence
from somewhere deep within himself.

"DON'T BE AFRAID."

"I WILL HANDLE THIS."

"I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU."

"I AM HERE FOR YOU, ALWAYS."

(Name) stands up straighter, walks more briskly onward past all the formerly threatening landmarks until he reaches the work-place and perseveres throughout the long work-period in the sure knowledge that someone, some...Thing, some Fierce and Powerful being that is both a part of himself and yet somehow separate from his 'self' is protectively hovering over him, watching out for him with mighty muscles and nearly-invincible weapons -- keeping at bay the ever-present hordes of snarling attackers that inhabit the menacing world -- and is holding the entire legion of horrendous enemies at bay.


And that is the initial idea for a fictional
story of true Belief and Faith the size
of a single mustard seed molecule.


To be continued . . .

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gene,

    Please, if you are of a mind to do so, continue with this fictional tale. I am a great fan of fiction based on actual events.

    ReplyDelete