Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nothing To Fear But . . .


FEAR

Via Google, this is what I have learned about FEAR so far.

The emotion of fear stems from several hormonal and neurochemical responses in the brain. The source of fear is there.

Hormones are released throughout the body. They trigger defensive mechanisms such as raising adrenaline and cortisol levels, and increasing heart rate and respiration. The "fight-or-flight" response. The chemical action is meant to stay active for only a few seconds or minutes, just enough time for a person to react to the object of his fear.

What do you think happens, however, when that object is not real? What if it's simply a situation created by your imagination? In this case, for many people, the high levels of adrenaline and increased cardiorespiratory rates remain in the body for longer periods, adding more stress and consequently making the body experience "burnout" and total exhaustion.

So, it seems that fear is basically nothing more than a chemical reaction within the brain. Oh Wow! Just knowing that makes my fear more controllable.

Right . . .



FDR had something to say about Fear:



And so did Adam Rulli-Gibbs:


Villagers scurry like ants at
the howl of the chimera
and the griffon's call.
Nowhere to hide from the hydra,
the centaur, or the dragon.
Man-eaters one and all.

One man alone will stand his ground
and, like a mountain,
bars the way.
The stance, the face, the attitude.
All say he fears nothing but fear.
...
We visited his grave today.

Copyright Adam Rulli-Gibbs
2004 - 2006


No, that is not all I have to say about FEAR. But I am still contemplating the years I've lived with my own fear and how I have reacted to it throughout a lifetime. And I am not sure how much of this recollection and self-examination I wish to reveal about (or to) myself. Or how to do it. Personal Memoir? Essay? Fictional Account?

More about this later . . .
It takes time, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment